Monday, May 02, 2011

Getting your Real Estate Agents License in Michigan

I finally took the plunge and obtained my Michigan Real Estate Agent license. I mentioned it to a friend at work and he was interested in getting more information about what's involved, so I thought I'd put it out here because I figure there are other people that might also want background info on the step to obtaining their license.

The basic steps I went through for my agent's license were as follows:

- First, I completed a Real Estate Fundamentals Prelicensure course from Holloway's Real Estate Institute (www.hollowaysinstitute.com). They offer Real Estate classes all over the State, but I attended in Ann Arbor. The class was around $245 and is a full 40 hours of lecture so I was in class all week. There are other schools but I liked Holloway and my instructor, Bruce, was very good.

- Next, I submitted my applicaton for a Michigan Salesperson License at www.michigan.gov/icola. The fee for me was $62. I found that, since the state will only give your license to your broker, its best to have one already and you can then provide your brokers 10 digit ID when you fill out this application. Once you apply for the license you have one year to complete the process

- Third, I received authorization to take the Real Estate License test from the State of Michigan via email. This authorization included a 6 digit number (exam candidate MIRE) and examination registration instructions.

- I then went to www.psiexams.com and used the MIRE number provided by the state to register to take the Sate exam to receive my license. I knew I was getting close now.

- The last major step for me was to take and pass the exam. This was where, if I would have put down my broker 48 hours or more before taking the exam, I could have received a photo pocket license right at the exam when I completed it successfully. I had actually put down my broker, but he hadn't gone to the ICOLA site to approve me, so I couldn't get it.

- Finally, my wall and wallet licenses were mailed to my broker. I was in. Oh yea and besides getting my license I learned a lot too.

5 comments:

Real Estate License said...

Are you required to have a broker sponsoring them at the time of application?

Unknown said...

In Michigan your not required to name your broker when you apply, but since they mail your license to your broker, you obviously can't get your license until you name one

EcornerLearning said...

It is exactly one of the regulations being brought by state authorities in real estate as they want to make sure that the right broker gets the right license in real estate

RES said...

You can learn to get your real estate agent license with guidance from the post here. Have a look at it

Skies Miltonia said...

I am speechless after seeing these pictures! I love them all! I teach kindergarten and I'm going to make a theme, and photographs have given me so many ideas! You are so talented! Thanks!